Thursday, January 29, 2009
It may be hard to see in this little photo, but I would like you to notice the cool zip-loc closure at the top and the sweet Guitar Hero stickers. Yeah. It's classy. I love that 5 minutes of my time and a few strips of duct tape made my favorite 9 year old beam from ear to ear for most of the evening. I also love that that sweet little guy wanted me to make one for his brother, too. Today was a good day.
Pink makes your kitty feel elegant, modern and quintessentially feline."
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Now, I've never been a skinny, winsome girl. Ever. I've been a size 10/12 most of my adult life and I've made peace with that. In every other aspect I am the very picture of health. But this past year I am beginning to feel like I'm falling apart. I have trouble sleeping at night, hence the bags under my eyes, but I could spend the entire day in bed. I am gaining weight every day. Seriously. Like half a pound a day. I am (almost literally) bursting out of my fat clothes. What is wrong with me?! The only thing that has changed in the past twelve months is the anti-anxiety medication I started taking and turning 35. Both have the possible unfortunate side effect of weight gain. I guess I've been doubly blessed. AAAAARRRGGGH!
I am finding it rather difficult to make peace with this new me. I WORK IN A GYM FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Do you know how much it stinks to be the fat girl working at the gym?! And I was already that at the top of my game! Maybe it's time to go back to the doctor and re-evaluate my medication or my health in general. And PLEASE tell me this is not peri-menopause. I don't think I could bear the thought.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
- sew a quilt for one of our young women who earned her recognition award
- design and paint scenery for the elementary school musical
- bake 4 dozen cup cakes for a wedding in our ward
- work a double shift at the gym
- take my kids to the school sock hop
- bake a dozen cookies for Cub Scout Pack Meeting
- work out six times
- run to the Oriental market so I can make Panang Curry for the fam tomorrow night - AND -
- not ingest any unnecessary chemicals, including, but not limited to: Tylenol, Tylenol PM (I've been having trouble sleeping), Excedrin and caffeine (and trouble waking up).
All I really want to do is:
- lay in bed and watch TV
- MAYBE bathe
What's a girl to do?! But really, wasn't today a wonderful day for TV watching?
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Saturday, January 17, 2009
Friday, January 16, 2009
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Saturday, January 10, 2009
- Ever since he was about 18 months old, his head smells like toast. Not always. Especially not right after school when he's all sweaty, but first thing in the morning when he wants his wake up hugs. Toasty. And I love it.
- He. Has. Rhythm. (ba dum bum) He. Has. Music. (bum, bum) He. Likes. To. Dance. (sing it) Who could ask for anything more? He really would be a talented dancer if he had any desire to pursue that particular gift.
- He's really very quiet and shy. If you're an adult. And until he gets to know you. After that . . . watch out.
- He was my easiest infant. Dylan would sit in his bouncy seat or lay on the floor and entertain himself for hours on end. He didn't become a "hand full" until . . . about the time his head started smelling like toast.
- He is the biggest lazy bones in our family. Always has been, always will be. He likes to sleep.
- He adores baby girls and is adored by them in return. He was a huge help when he used to come to work with me. He'll be a wonderfully loving and tender father.
- He is Heavenly Father's gift to our family. We thought we were done with two -- a boy and a girl -- perfect. Heavenly Father knew better. Our family was forever changed 7 years ago and life has been brighter ever since.
Friday, January 9, 2009
- a man with a plan (Thanks Brent!!)
- camouflage pants
- super luxurious sleeping accommodations (a tent set up in the living room)
- 4 friends
- bomb-shaped cupcakes with magic relighting candle fuses
- a really cool aunt to teach mom how to make super sweet t-shirts (Thanks Daina!)
Optional (but highly recommended):
- Nerf guns
- cheese pizza
- ear plugs
My baby boy is turning 7 tomorrow and, as if I needed more proof, he is proving how grown up he is by having his first sleep over party. It's bittersweet. On one hand, I'm missing my darling, dependent, chunky, cheeky, cheerful little guy more every day. On the other hand, he's a great kid with great friends and I'm proud of the boy he's becoming. I can't stop time so I might as well embrace it.
This army-themed party is reminding me of a conversation I overheard when we were driving somewhere in Utah this Christmas. D turned to Britt and said, "Hey. If we both join the army at the same time maybe they'll give us both the same big gun." "Yeah, maybe," his cousin replied, nodding. Heaven help us all if our fates are ever left in the hands of these two little hellions.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Monday, January 5, 2009
OK, so that last one is just plain icky, but it gave me a much needed chuckle this afternoon. You should check Etsy out for yourself!
Friday, January 2, 2009
. . . see for yourself.
I lifted this photo from my sister-in-law Kristen's blog because a few of our friends couldn't find it there after reading her teaser in a comment here. He's a kook, but you just have to love a man who feels your need for designer fabric and, after being convinced of what a complete bargain it is, allows you to get it. That's real love for you, right there. And, let's be honest, he looks pretty flippin' sweet in those hot red pumps!
Thursday, January 1, 2009
- I would like to cut my debt by 1/3. I would like to stick to our financial plan. I would like to feel good about my relationship with money (hello, Suze Orman) and know that I was making good choices and being a wise steward of our financial blessings. I would like to help others whenever possible.
- I would like to seek personal inspiration and revelation by praying and studying the scriptures daily. I would like to make more time for meditation and temple worship. I would like to fast purposefully and teach my children to do the same.
- I would like to find joy in magnifying my calling at church. I would like to be more outgoing and develop a friendly relationship with each young women. I would like to be more reliable in fulfilling my responsibilities.
- I would like to stay close with my ever-maturing children by participating cheerfully in activities they enjoy. I would like to take the time to listen when they talk -- about whatever they want to talk about -- and take more opportunities to make them feel special. I would like to actively help them find and develop talents.
- I would like to be more kind . . . to my family, to myself, and to people in general. I would like to have a positive, cheerful outlook on life and speak only kind words to (and about) others.
- I would like to make my health a priority by finding time to work out regularly and by eating foods that make me feel good (bye bye, Coke and cheeseburgers). I would like to get enough sleep and have energy to find new physical activities I enjoy.
- I would like to keep better control of Riley's diabetes and lower his A1c.
- I would like to improve our home by upgrading some things and just maintaining some things better (ahem, our yard).
- I would like to have fun . . . even whilst maintaining a level of responsibility. I've spent too long being unnecessarily anxious about things. This year I would just like to let it all rip and enjoy my stinkin' great life.