My 3 Monsters: Scrappy Rosette Pillow Covers

Recent Posts


Scrappy Rosette Pillow Covers

You may remember these Valentine Pillow Covers I made a while ago:
I loved them, but I learned a valuable lesson when I washed them.  Don't ever use the the less-expensive store brand iron-on transfer paper.  EVER!  I followed every direction to a tee, but once I washed the pillow covers the transfers started cracking and peeling.  That has not happened {in my experience} with the name brand paper.  They were pretty ugly, but I liked the basic white covers a lot so I attempted to salvage them.

I could kind-of scratch the design off with my fingernail, but that was taking forever.  I looked around for something that might be faster.  Sandpaper?  That worked OK, but I was a little overzealous and started wearing a small hole in one cover.  This next option might sound wierd but it worked really well --a Ped-Egg.  I remembered the commercial I had seen a gajillion times on TV where they Ped-Egged the surface of a balloon without popping it.  These pillow covers were canvas -- much more durable than a balloon, right? I lightly rubbed the Ped-Egg over the surface of the pillow and it shaved the transfer right off.

There were just a few spots that I couldn't get all the way off and that one pesky little hole I had rubbed.  I decided I could still use them if I just turned that side to the back when I set them on my couches.  That idea worked in theory, but my family really lives in this house and the pillows showed the ugly side as often as not.  I wanted to come up with something to cover up the "scarred" areas, but I just didn't know what.

We lived with those not-super-ugly-but-not-pretty-either pillows for a couple of months until it came to me: Rosettes.  In bright, fun colors.  Just a smattering across the front of each pillow would be perfection for the spring and summer months.  I grabbed my fabric scraps and made rolled rosettes, pinning the fabric to the pillow cover as I went.  Once I had the layout I liked, I sewed the rosettes to the covers by hand, poking my fingers too many times to count in the process because I kept forgetting there were pins everywhere.

 I thought about using the free-motion feature on my sewing machine to attach the rosettes, but I've never used that before and I didn't want to mess the covers up.  Again.  I LOVE the way they turned out:

They pick up on all the colors in my geometric canvas and tie in the Mermaid blue coffee table.  Plus, they just make me happy, all bright and cheerful like that.  Cassie {our dog} has already adopted one of them as her sleeping pillow.  {Yes, our dog likes to sleep with her head on a pillow.  It's cooky.  At least she has good taste, right?}  Have a great weekend, everyone!



  1. I love the way these turned out too! They're precious! I love the rosettes and the bright colors you used!

  2. L-O-V-E!!
    Nice job with your beautiful pillows!
    I would love for you to stop by and link this up to my party!
    Stacey of Embracing Change (scroll down a bit to find the party!)

  3. This is such a cute project. I featured it on my blog last night.

  4. Nice post. I used to be checking continuously this blog and I am inspired! Very helpful info specially the last part. I take care of such information much. get more information


Thanks for leaving a comment. I try to respond to every one, even if it takes me a little while!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...